Belmont Country Club History
Manor House was erected by Ludwell Lee, son of Richard Henry Lee, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Ludwell Lee served as aide-de-camp to General Lafayette in the campaign of 1781. He acquired the Belmont property through his first wife, Flora Lee, who inherited the land through their common grandfather, Thomas Lee of Stratford. The house ranks in quality with the five-part mansions of Washington, Baltimore, and Annapolis, as well as Woodlawn in Fairfax County. No name, however, has been associated with its design. The composition is characterized by fine detailing inside and out.
General Lafayette donates elaborate mantels during a visit to the home, originals still exist today
Following Ludwell Lee’s death in 1836, Belmont was sold to Miss Margaret Mercer, daughter of a former Maryland governor, who operated a school in the house.
Property acquired from Miss Mercer’s heirs by George Kephart, who also owned Coton, the plantation of Ludwell Lee’s cousin, Thomas Ludwell Lee, located across from the Leesburg Turnpike from Belmont.
Belmont purchased by Frederick M. Staunton, former governor of Kansas.
Mr. & Mrs. John Scott Ferguson of Pittsburgh acquired Belmont and engaged Pittsburgh architect T. Kent Roberts to modernize the building. His work resulted primarily in the enlarging of the rear wing, the remodeling of the terminal wings, and the improvement of the physical plant.
Belmont purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Edward B. McLean, Washington socialites. Mr. McLean was the son of the owner-publisher of the Washington Post. Mrs. McLean (Evelyn Walsh) is best remembered as being an owner of the famous Hope Diamond.
During the McLean ownership, Belmont became noted as a fine horse farm. However, the Depression caused the horses to be auctioned.
Whole estate sold to Patrick J. Hurley, secretary of war in the Hoover administration.
The Hurleys sold Belmont and its contents to the late George C. Clarke, a Washington D.C. attorney.
Belmont was purchased by the IBM (International Business Machines) Corporation but was never used.
Mr. & Mrs. George Clarke retained a life interest in the house, but this interest was given up when the widowed Mrs. Clarke vacated the house.
Listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register.
Listed on the National Register of Historical Places.
Purchased & restored by Toll Brothers, Inc.
Belmont Country Club opens.
2001 or 2002
2001 or 2002
Arnold Palmer visits and plays 9-holes.
Purchased by Invited.